- Dimensions: 8" x 5.5" x 1.5"
- The first installment of Arthur Ransome's beloved adventure novels, Swallows and Amazons was published in 1930, and in the years following, has become a cult classic. It was voted one of 'The 99 Best Books for Children' by the Sunday Times.
- This series chronicles the adventures of two families, whose children form the Swallows and the Amazons, two groups that embark on summertime adventures in England's Lake District: camping, fishing, exploring, and pirateering.
- From the author's note, "I have been often asked how I came to write Swallows and Amazons. The answer is that it had its beginning long, long ago when, as children, my brother, my sisters and I spent most of our holidays on a farm at the south end of Coninston...We adored the place. Coming to it we used to run down to the lake, dip our hands in and wish, as if we had just seen the new moon. Going away from it, we were half drowned in tears. While away from it, as children and as grown-ups, we dreamt about it. No matter where I was, wandering about the world, I used at night to look for the North Star and, in my mind's eye, could see the beloved skyline of the great hills beneath it. Swallows and Amazons grew out of those old memories. I could not help writing it. It almost wrote itself."
- This 2002 edition is in excellent vintage condition, and includes hand-drawn illustrations by the author. There is some very minor wear to its dust jacket, now protected in a plastic sleeve. Please see our detailed photos.
This item will be packed with the utmost care and shipped via UPS. Rates are calculated at checkout.
We want you to be fully satisfied with your purchase. If for any reason you are not satisfied, the item may be returned in its original condition for store credit or exchange. The customer has 7 days after delivery to inspect the order and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish to make a return.
For more information about shipping, as well as our returns & exchanges policy, please visit our Customer Service page.
Join our mailing list and be the first to know about new arrivals, upcoming events & what's inspiring us right now.