- Dimensions: 9" x 5.75" x 1"
- First published in 1976, Abel’s Island has carved out a special place in the hearts of readers from the beginning. Almost immediately, it won the 1976 New York Times Outstanding Book of the Year and received a 1977 Newbery Honor. Today, this simple story of enduring love and determination is still beloved by fans of all ages.
- Through his trademark pen and ink illustrations and lyrical text, Steig tells the story of a gentleman mouse who is carried away from his wife and home by a flood, catapulting him onto a deserted island. With no way to return home, he must learn to survive away from the comforts of the life he has always known. In Odyssean tradition, this charming mouse epic reframes familiar themes of home, family, comfort, and determination in a children’s story that is just as poignant for adults.
- William Steig was a beloved illustrator, cartoonist, and children's book author, perhaps most famous for creating the lovable ogre Shrek.
- This edition is a first US printing in very good vintage condition. There is minor wear to its dust jacket, now protected in a plastic sleeve. Please see our detailed photos.
This item will be packed with the utmost care and shipped via UPS. Rates are calculated at checkout.
We want you to be fully satisfied with your purchase. If for any reason you are not satisfied, the item may be returned in its original condition for store credit or exchange. The customer has 7 days after delivery to inspect the order and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they wish to make a return.
For more information about shipping, as well as our returns & exchanges policy, please visit our Customer Service page.
Join our mailing list and be the first to know about new arrivals, upcoming events & what's inspiring us right now.