- Dimensions: 9" x 6.5" x 1"
- Published in 1971, Living Well is the Best Revenge is an intimate portrait of two of the Lost Generation’s most colorful figures, Sara and Gerald Murphy. Calvin Tompkins’ account paints in vivid detail the couple’s time in France, where their guests-- who included the likes of Porter, Picasso, Léger, Hemingway and the Fitzgeralds-- famously pronounced them “masters of the art of living.”
- The expats created a life abroad that today lives on in art only-- both their own, and the inspired work of their contemporaries. Captivated by the Cubist movement sweeping Paris in 1922, Gerald began a painting career of his own. Today, seven of his works survive and are considered American modernist masterpieces. Tompkins explores the personal tragedies which led to the untimely end of his artistic career in 1929.
- Tompkins’ text is enhanced by nearly 70 photographs from the Murphys’ family album, along with images of Gerald's work.
- This first edition copy is in very good vintage condition with very minor wear to the corners of its dust jacket (now protected in a plastic sleeve). Please see our detailed photos.
This item will be packed with the utmost care and shipped via UPS. Rates are calculated at checkout.
We want you to be fully satisfied with your purchase. If for any reason you are not satisfied, the item may be returned in its original condition for store credit or exchange. The customer has 7 days after delivery to inspect the order and contact email@example.com if they wish to make a return.
For more information about shipping, as well as our returns & exchanges policy, please visit our Customer Service page.
Join our mailing list and be the first to know about new arrivals, upcoming events & what's inspiring us right now.